Wednesday, November 4, 2009

It's Oscar Time Again


Ok, So the Oscars are really not till March, but it was recently announced that the host will be Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin, which got me to thinking; is it me or is the entertainment industry the biggest bunch of self congratulaters known to man.

I mean think about it. You got... (this is off the top of my head, no lookin crap up on the internets); The Oscars, The Emmys, The Golden Globes, The BET Awards, The CMA's, The MTV Movie Awards, The MTV Music Awards, The VMA's, The People's Choice Awards, The American Music Awards, The Grammys... hell they even have awards to give to the worst of things called the Raspberries. I'm sure I'm missing several more too.

Seriously, name another industry that pats itself on the back as much as the entertainment industry. It's like every other week there is a spread in People Magazine of celebrities attending some awards show somewhere. Christ, if my job had that many awards presentations I wouldn't be able to get anything done.

Not only do they celebrate their being every week but they always seem to have to have a 3 1/2 hour show to cram it down our throats that says, "hey, I'm a lot more interesting person than you, I'm good looking, and I'm on TV. You're not, and you pretty much suck. And, I can't believe they are cutting my speech off again I haven't had the chance to thank the kid that walks my dogs on set yet... I'm just going to keep talking over your music... you can't stop me!"

We get it. Acting or singing is really hard. You've had to fight your way to the top. You've had to pay your dues on the way there... but so did the guy that fixed my car last week. And my kids teacher. And, my doctor. And my dad (who busted his but to send me to college). And, the girl who cuts my hair. And, the guy that made my fries at McDonald's last night... ok maybe not that guy, cause I'm pretty sure he was either high or drunk... but still actors and singers are not the only ones that work hard.

Don't get me wrong we all need that pat on the back once in awhile to tell us, "good job, thanks for being here." But seriously, you make millions, you get laid more than a rug, and everyone wants to be your friend... do you really need 20+ award shows to rub our noses in it.

p.s. to this day I think Brad Pitt should have won best supporting actor for 12 Monkeys. Just sayin.

No comments:

Post a Comment